Sunday Song. indie hymnal by Greg Attwell

I bought a new CD this week. (I know, that's a bit old school, I could have bought it on itunes, but I like CD's.)






Greg Attwell made an album of really old hymns called "Indie Hymnal" and explains why he did this. Powerful old words put to laid back indie style acoustic music.


This song is one of my favourites. "Nothing but the blood of Jesus" by Robert Lowry (b. 1826).


In an era gone by they used very poetic and strong images taken from the Bible. When Jesus died on the cross, blood was shed and this blood symbolises the washing away of our sins. This is a serious, life saving message and so God uses serious images. Life giving blood.


“Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.” Hebrews 9:22


We need to be made clean of our sin to be right with God. (and you know we all sin!)


So don't be tricked into thinking that you can do this yourself.




As the old hymn starts...



What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Refrain
Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini Christmas crocheted stockings by Mandy - Free Pattern

Lantern making... a craft for kids

Mitred Granny Squares by Janice