Coconut Cake Recipe

The recipe for this cake was originally given to me from Karin.
If I can make it and serve it fresh on the same day I am hailed as a great baker.
It is good for a few food allergies (see end of post).


I make it sometimes in a thin loaf tin. 
(A bigger bread tin sometimes results in a soggy center.)
The best is when it is still just slightly warm and I slice and butter it.

THE RECIPE FOR COCONUT CAKE:
(Makes 2 loaves)
MIX TOGETHER IN A BIG BOWL:
2 cups sugar
2 cups coconut
4 cups Self Raising flour*

NOW MIX IN:
2 cups of milk
a splash of vanilla essence

It's a bit gluggy, but stir and build up those arm muscles!

NOW BAKE IN A MODERATE OVEN FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES OR LONGER FOR A WIDER TIN. Don't skimp on baking time. Normal loaf tin is probably 45 min and a bit lower than moderate. How accurate is that hey!

mix mix

Makes 2 tins. Narrow is best. Line well with baking paper.

Or I make it in my mini muffin cases.
Bake for only about 15 - 20 minutes.

Then dust with icing sugar.

Wrap in pairs and pop into the freezer for school lunch boxes or picnics.

This cake is egg free, nut free and can easily be dairy free if you use soy milk, which I often do.
There is no butter or oil added as the coconut provides this.
Adding dried fruit like sultanas or apricots is really nice too.
*Instead of Self Raising flour, you can use 4 cups of flour and 8 tsp of baking powder.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini Christmas crocheted stockings by Mandy - Free Pattern

Lantern making... a craft for kids

Mitred Granny Squares by Janice